I am honored to bring you greetings this holiday season in my first December as your Club President. It’s that time when we pause to reflect on the year that was and look ahead to the new year where brighter days are sure to be in store for us all.
Over the past twelve months our club has faced many challenges. None greater than COVID-19, which effectively shut down the world and has placed a terrible hold over all of us. Through it all though the Assiniboine Memorial Curling Club (AMCC) achieved and accomplished many great things including:
- Dennis Thiessen (2nd) on Team Canada winning a Silver Medal at the World Wheel Chair Curling Championship in March;
- Team Brett Walter winning the Junior Men’s Provincial Championship in January;
- Team Jacques Gauthier winning the Canadian and World Junior Men’s Championship in February;
- We successfully hosted draws for the Manitoba Open;
- We successfully adapted to the digital age with our Online Registration feature;
- We successfully implemented our Return to Play Protocols which allowed us to safely open our facility for use;
- We re-introduced our Youth Program laying down a solid foundation to help build our game at the grass roots level;
- We successfully and safely ran one of the few competitive Bonspiels in the Province during the Pandemic - the Atkins Curling Supplies Classic;
- We successfully ran a Drive Thru Poppy Fundraiser for the Royal Canadian Legion in November;
- The AMCC Men’s Leagues continued its long tradition of supporting the Christmas Cheer Board with a Generous Donation in December.
As our global community fights to win against this virus, the Board of Directors and I are going to be working very hard to ensure we will be able to continue to operate, when we are safely able to, and provide the quality service and on ice experience our members and guests deserve. Some of the key initiatives we have already undertaken or are in the process of implementing include:
- Targeting all available grants, loans and programs from all levels of government to help offset the mounting expenses caused by the shutdown of our facility;
- Continuing the refinement of our Return to Play Guidelines to ensure a quick transition when our facility is permitted to open for use;
- Working with our Leagues to ensure that facility availability and options are provided to allow for the completion of a complete and meaningful season;
- Improving our members on ice and off ice experience while at the Club;
- Ensuring the long term financial viability of the Club by improving operational efficiencies, increasing revenue streams and through sound financial decisions.
As we enter the new year, I am confident that together we will see many more successes and overcome the current challenges that we now face. I thank you for your continued support and commitment to making the AMCC the Home of Champions on and off the ice.
In closing, on behalf of the Board of Directors, I extend my warmest wishes for a safe and enjoyable holiday season and a healthy and happy new year to you and your families.
Ken Onagi | AMCC Club President