Written by Kevin Nakonechny
AMCC is excited to announce that we will be offering pinball tables as entertainment in our lounge this season, thanks to a partnership with the Manitoba Pinball Association!
The first tables will be in-place for all lounge guests to use when the Club opens for the season (per-game cost ranges from $0.50 - $1.25). Games will be rotated regularly to keep things fresh and give all of our guests a chance to try the more popular games. Renters will have the option of keeping the machines on or shutting them off during special events.
As part of this partnership, the The Manitoba Pinball League will host a number of pinball tournaments throughout the curling season, which are generally open for anyone age 18+ to enter. The first one will coincide with the Atkins Curling Supplies Classic Bonspiel, October 12-15 - click here for details.
Watch our social media feeds and website for events throughout this curling season. For more information about the Manitoba Pinball League, please visit their website: http://www.manitobapinball.com
Please join us in welcoming our new entertainment partners for the 2018-19 curling season!
Written by Kevin Nakonechny
or visit our Open House on Wednesday, September 5.
Like throwing heavy rocks at houses? Just interested in finding out what the sport is like? Come curl with us!
Need a beak in your weekly routine? Are you new to the neighborhood, and want to meet some new people while having fun and getting some exercise? Want to make your Manitoba winter seem shorter while participating in a sport that you might have seen on TV (but never tried yourself)?
If any of the above applies to you, and you are a first-time or novice (<1 year experience) curler over 18 years of age, the AMCC Adult Learn to Curl Program (in its second year at AMCC) is designed for you. Returning after a successful start at AMCC in 2017, your membership in this year's Adult Learn to Curl Instructional League will offer:
- 16 weeks of curling beginning after Thanksgiving weekend (ending in mid-March).
- A typical session will include about 80 minutes of on-ice activity and 30 minutes of discussion indoors.
- Eight weeks of on- and off-ice instruction and skill development - two facilitators assigned per sheet.
- Eight weeks of additional ice time with emphasis on game play (with facilitators available to assist participants at all times).
- Equipment available to borrow from the club - until December. You need to supply a comfortable pair of athletic pants (e.g. jogging pants), clean indoor running shoes, and a non-fleece sweater / hoodie, and light winter gloves (on-ice temperature is a few degrees above freezing - much warmer than most Manitoba winter days).
- LOTTSA instruction at first: Terminology, Etiquette, Rules, Walking on Ice, Delivery, Sweeping, Judging weight, Judging line, Strategy, etc. Less instruction as the season progresses. Not so much instruction at the end of the season.
- First few weeks are based around basics, then we move into skill development, challenges, small games, mini-league.
- Social events in December and March (participants don't need to organize, but will be asked for their preferences).
- Kitchen open for breakfast before and lunch after Lounge open for refreshments.
- Choice of 11:00 am / 2:00 pm Sunday time slots (subject to participant interest and instructor availability).
- All this for $300 (comparable fee to Mens' League - and they don't get most of the above).
- No 50/50 draw, fundraising raffles, requests to be Treasurer or Secretary, or attend a meeting. Just show up ready to play and have some fun!
- Risk-free trial: Two weeks of participation allowed before committing to a full season.
Learn to Curl is not a clinic (which typically lasts a few hours) - it is a multi-week instructional league experience specifically designed for new curlers.
For more information about the sport of curling, please see the links below: