October 22: Limited last-minute spots are available: first-come, first-served!
Like throwing heavy rocks at houses? Just interested in finding out what the sport is like? Come curl with us!
Need a beak in your weekly routine? Are you new to the neighborhood, and want to meet some new people while having fun and getting some exercise? Want to make your Manitoba winter seem shorter while participating in a sport that you might have seen on TV (but never tried yourself)?
If any of the above applies to you, and you are a first-time or novice (<1 year experience) curler over 18 years of age, the AMCC Adult Learn to Curl Program (in its second year at AMCC) is designed for you. Returning after a successful start at AMCC in 2017, your membership in this year's Adult Learn to Curl Instructional League will offer:
- 16 weeks of curling beginning after Thanksgiving weekend (ending in mid-March).
- A typical session will include about 80 minutes of on-ice activity and 30 minutes of discussion indoors.
- Eight weeks of on- and off-ice instruction and skill development - two facilitators assigned per sheet.
- Eight weeks of additional ice time with emphasis on game play (with facilitators available to assist participants at all times).
- Equipment available to borrow from the club - until December. You need to supply a comfortable pair of athletic pants (e.g. jogging pants), clean indoor running shoes, and a non-fleece sweater / hoodie, and light winter gloves (on-ice temperature is a few degrees above freezing - much warmer than most Manitoba winter days).
- LOTTSA instruction at first: Terminology, Etiquette, Rules, Walking on Ice, Delivery, Sweeping, Judging weight, Judging line, Strategy, etc. Less instruction as the season progresses. Not so much instruction at the end of the season.
- First few weeks are based around basics, then we move into skill development, challenges, small games, mini-league.
- Social events in December and March (participants don't need to organize, but will be asked for their preferences).
- Kitchen open for breakfast before and lunch after Lounge open for refreshments.
- All this for $300 (comparable fee to Mens' League - and they don't get most of the above).
- No 50/50 draw, fundraising raffles, requests to be Treasurer or Secretary, or attend a meeting. Just show up ready to play and have some fun!
- Risk-free trial: Two weeks of participation allowed before committing to a full season.
Update 30 Sep 2018: As you may have already heard, Rossmere Curling Club is unexpectedly shutting down. To make way for possible increase of curling at AMCC, we will be offering the Adult Learn to Curl League at 11:00 am Sundays only - same as last year.
Learn to Curl is not a clinic (which typically lasts a few hours) - it is a multi-week instructional league experience specifically designed for new curlers.
For more information about the sport of curling, please see the links below: